What is Young Garvan?
Young Garvan is a volunteer group of young professionals (predominately 25-35) who first came together in 2003 to support and raise awareness of Garvan’s work as well as raise funds to support Garvan’s young scientists.
Each year, Young Garvan hosts the All Ribbons Ball (a five star, fundraising event) and also organises three public forums on a variety of topical areas. Recent topics include:
- Affluenza: The stress of your success
- Generation G: The genomic revolution and what it means
- East meets West.
The Young Garvan Committee
Young Garvan’s activities are managed independently of the Garvan Institute by a volunteer committee of young business professionals. The committee liaises with the Garvan Research Foundation and young scientists from Garvan to:
- Organise and recruit speakers for the three public forums (forums usually draw over 200 intelligent and engaged people who like to contribute to discussion and debate)
- Coordinate the All Ribbons Ball (sourcing sponsors, entertainment, managing ticket sales and fundraising)
- Fundraise for the annual $50,000 Young Garvan Award.
The Young Garvan Award
The Young Garvan committee presents the Young Garvan Award and the Young Garvan Special Initiative Grants to young Garvan scientists at the All Ribbons Ball each year. The Award, a $50,000 grant and Special Initiative Grants, $10,000 each, support outstanding young investigators to undertake innovative, high risk projects and test new ideas.
Join Young Garvan: join online now.
Join the Young Garvan Associate program: become a Young Garvan Associate now.
Contact us: please email us or call (02) 9295 8110.
Become a corporate sponsor: State Custodians is Young Garvan's Platinum Sponsor. Please email us for sponsorship information.