Diabetes and Metabolism
The global incidence of diabetes continues to increase at an exponential rate, in tandem with the rapid rise of obesity. Obesity is also associated with the development of other debilitating chronic conditions such as cardiovascular disease, cancer, Alzheimer's disease and asthma.
The Diabetes and Metabolism Division contributes to the worldwide effort to understand the causal relationships between genetics, the environment and the development of diabetes. With expertise in basic science and clinical research, we aim to establish an accurate picture of the circumstances under which obesity precipitates diabetes to enable the prediction, prevention and treatment of metabolic disease.
- Adipose Tissue Biology in Diabetes and Obesity (Lab Head: Prof Katherine Samaras)
- Beta Cell Regeneration (Lab Head: Dr Daniel Hesselson)
- Beta Cell Signalling (Lab Head: Prof Trevor Biden)
- Clinical Diabetes, Appetite and Metabolism (Lab Heads: Prof Lesley Campbell and A/Prof Jerry Greenfield)
- Molecular Metabolism (Lab Head: Prof Greg Cooney)
- Insulin Signalling (Lab Head: Dr Carsten Schmitz-Peiffer)
- Islet Biology (Lab Head: A/Prof Ross Laybutt)
- Phospholipid and Cell Biology (Lab Head: Dr William Hughes)