12 September 2017
The Garvan Institute of Medical Research (Garvan) is one of Australia’s leading medical research institutes, with over 600 scientists, students and support staff, and an annual budget of over $110m. Its mission is to undertake leading-edge research that will change the directions of science and medicine and have major impacts on human health.
The Garvan pioneers study into the most widespread diseases affecting our community, including cancer, neurodegenerative diseases and mental disorders, disorders of the immune system, diabetes and obesity, osteoporosis and other skeletal disorders. The Institute has a major emphasis on clinical and research genomics, advanced imaging and bioinformatics, in the conviction that the integration of genomic and clinical data will transform medical research, medicine and healthcare.
We are currently seeking to appoint a General Manager (GM)/Chief Operating Officer (COO). Reporting to the Executive Director and to the Board of the Institute, the GM/COO is the primary business manager, responsible for Garvan’s financial and operational effectiveness and the services contributing to the achievement of our strategic goals.
Key responsibilities of this position include:
- Overseeing the management and development of administrative and support sections, including Finance, Human Resources, IT Infrastructure and Computing Services, Building Services and Facilities, Safety, and Legal and Business Development
- Planning, development and execution of the annual budget in collaboration with the Executive Director and senior managers
- Overseeing the preparation of statutory financial accounts and management accounts
- Serving as the Secretary to the Board and its Finance, Risk and Audit Committee, effectively communicating and presenting financial and operational matters at Garvan Board and committee meetings
- Monitoring business performance against the annual plan and for compliance with all external regulatory legislation
- Representing the Institute externally in respect of the Institute’s mission and in contractual negotiations such as banking, leasing and other commercial agreements and partnerships
- Promoting a culture of high performance and continuous improvement that values learning and a commitment to quality
The successful application will demonstrate the following key skills and attributes:
- Outstanding leadership skills, with a history of achievement and proven ability to influence and engage direct and indirect reports and peers to develop and execute strategic and operational plans, support systems, budgets and reporting pathways
- Experience in administration and management of research institutes, scientific enterprises or industry, preferably with postgraduate scientific qualifications
- Experience in a senior management role overseeing operations and business systems improvement
- Financial management skills – including the ability to deliver concise analytical reports on financial performance, risk analysis and variance interpretation
- An energetic, flexible, collaborative and proactive approach with ability to positively and productively impact strategic and tactical financial, operational and administrative initiatives
- Demonstrated competence in issues management and stakeholder negotiations; high levels of tact, diplomacy and negotiation skills
- Experience in change management with the ability to apply principles of continuous improvement to processes and systems to maximise the sustainability and productivity of the enterprise
How to apply: Please submit your application including a cover letter and CV by visiting our career site: www.garvan.org.au/careers. For more information and a Position Description please contact Ross MacDonald on email@example.com.
Closing date: This position will close on 6 October 2017.