Imaging and Inflammation
It is becoming increasingly recognised that inflammation is an important, yet poorly understood, component of common age-related diseases as well as rarer immune disorders. Understanding the mechanisms that regulate inflammation in healthy tissues, and what drives an excessive and persistent inflammatory response during disease, is essential for the development of novel and more effective therapies.
We use a variety of advanced microscopy and imaging techniques, including intravital 2-photon imaging and novel mouse models of the autoinflammatory disease mevalonate kinase deficiency, to study the molecular and cellular drivers of excessive inflammation. Our ultimate goal is the development of novel approaches to control and prevent unwarranted inflammatory responses.
- *Munoz, M.A., *Jurczyluk, J., Mehr, S., Chai, R.C., Arts, R.J.W., Sheu, A., McMahon, C., Center, J.R., Singh-Grewal, D., Chaitow, J., Campbell, D.E., Quinn, J.M.W., Alexandrov, K., Tnimov, Z., Tangye, S.G., Simon, A., Phan, T.G. & Rogers, M.J. (2017). “Defective protein prenylation is a diagnostic biomarker of mevalonate kinase deficiency.” J Allergy Clin Immunol S0091-6749(17)30513-4.*Equal author contribution
- *Jurczyluk, J., *Munoz, M.A., Skinner, O.P., Chai, R.C., Ali, N., Palendira, U., Quinn, J.M.W., Preston, A., Tangye, S.G., Brown, A.J., Argent, E., Ziegler, J.B., Mehr, S. & Rogers, M.J. (2016). “Mevalonate kinase deficiency leads to decreased prenylation of Rab GTPases”. Immunology & Cell Biology 94: 994-999. *Equal author contribution
- N. Ali , J. Jurczyluk , G. Shay , Z. Tnimov , K. Alexandrov , Munoz , O. Skinner , N. Pavlos, M. Rogers. (2015). “A highly sensitive prenylation assay reveals in vivo effects of bisphosphonate drug on the Rab prenylome of macrophages outside the skeleton”. Small GTPases 6:202-211.
- *Prakash, M. D., *Munoz, M. A., Jain, R., Tong, P. L., Koskinen, A., Regner, M., Kleifeld, O., Ho, B., Olson, M., Turner, S. J., Mrass, P., Weninger, W. and Bird, P. I. (2014). "Granzyme B promotes cytotoxic lymphocyte transmigration via basement membrane remodeling." Immunity 41(6): 960-972. *Equal author contribution
- Munoz, M. A., Biro, M. and Weninger, W. (2014). "T cell migration in intact lymph nodes in vivo." Current Opinion in Cell Biology 30: 17-24.
- *Biro, M., * A. Munoz and W. Weninger (2014). "Targeting Rho-GTPases in immune cell migration and inflammation." Br J Pharmacol. *Equal author contribution
More Garvan Publications
Staff in the Group