REPLICATION AND GENOME STABILITY
Breast cancer is the most common female cancer (1/9 women) and the second highest cause of cancer-related female death, leading to more than 3000 deaths per year in Australia alone. Ovarian cancer, while less common, is responsible for more than 1000 deaths per year in Australia.
The Replication and Genome Stability group works towards understanding the way that cancer cells evolve due to the selective pressure of therapeutic drugs and cancer driver genes called oncogenes. A primary goal is understanding the evolution of hormone therapy resistance in breast cancer and drug resistance in ovarian cancers, which are major causes of cancer related death. Based on their findings on the multistep acquisition of drug resistance, Liz and her team are focussed on translating knowledge about fundamental cancer biology and evolution into targetable therapies that provide clinical benefit.
- Hickey, Theresa E., Luke A. Selth, Kee Ming Chia, Geraldine Laven-Law, Heloisa H. Milioli, Daniel Roden, Shalini Jindal, Mun Hui, Jessica Finlay-Schultz, Esmaeil Ebrahimie, Stephen N. Birrell, Suzan Stelloo, Richard Iggo, Sarah Alexandrou, C. Elizabeth Caldon, Tarek M. Abdel-Fatah, Ian O. Ellis, Wilbert Zwart, Carlo Palmieri, Carol A. Sartorius, Alex Swarbrick, Elgene Lim, Jason S. Carroll, and Wayne D. Tilley. 2021. 'The androgen receptor is a tumor suppressor in estrogen receptor–positive breast cancer', Nature Medicine, 27: 310-20.
- C Lee, K Fernandez, S Alexandrou, CM Sergio, N Deng, S Rogers, A Burgess, CE Caldon (2020) “Cyclin E2 promotes whole genome doubling in breast cancer” Cancers accepted
- A Burgess*, CE Caldon* (2020) “Proceedings from ACCM19: Cell Cycle, DNA Damage Response and Telomeres” Frontiers in Cell and Developmental Biology accepted *co-senior
- N Portman, HH Milioli, S Alexandrou, R Coulson, A Yong, KJ Fernandez, KM Chia, E Halilovic, D Segara, A Parker, S Haupt, Y Haupt, W Tilley, A Swarbrick, CE Caldon*, E Lim* (2020) “MDM2 Inhibition in Combination with Endocrine Therapy and CDK4/6 Inhibition for the Treatment of ER-Positive Breast Cancer” Breast Cancer Research accepted *co-senior
- CE Caldon (2020) “Friends and foes: our evolving understanding of the link between Fbxw7 and p53 in cancer” Neoplasia accepted
- HH Milioli, S Alexandrou, E Lim, CE Caldon (2020)“Cyclin E1 and cyclin E2 in ER+ breast cancer: prospects as biomarkers and therapeutic targets” Endocrine-Related Cancer 27 (5), R93-R112
- J Achinger-Kawecka, F Valdes Mora, P Luu, K Giles, CE Caldon, W Qu, S Nair, S Soto, W Locke, N Yeo-Teh, C Gould, Q Du, G Smith, I Ramos, K Fernandez, D Hoon, J Gee, C Stirzaker and S Clark (2020) “Epigenetic reprogramming at estrogen-receptor binding sites alters the 3D chromatin landscape in endocrine resistant breast cancer” Nature Communications 11 (1), 1-17
- S Tadesse, A Anshabo, N Portman, E Lim, W Tilley, CE Caldon* and S Wang* (2020) “Targeting CDK2 in cancer: challenges and opportunities for therapy” Drug Discovery Today 25 (2), 406-413 *Co-senior
- CE Caldon, A Burgess (2019) “Label Free, Quantitative Single-Cell Fate Tracking of Time-Lapse Movies” MethodsX, 6, 2468-2475
- L Castillo, A Young, A Mawson, P Schafranek, A M Steinmann, D Nessem, A Parkin, A Johns, Angela Chou, A MK Law, MC Lucas, KJ Murphy, N Deng, D Gallego-Ortega, CE Caldon, Australian Pancreatic Cancer Genome Initiative (APGI), P Timpson, M Pajic, CJ Ormandy and SR Oakes (2019) “MCL-1 antagonism enhances the anti-invasive effects of dasatinib in pancreatic adenocarcinoma” Oncogene 39 (8), 1821-1829
- Q Du*, SA Bert*, NJ Armstrong, CE Caldon, J Song, S Nair, CM Gould, P Loi Luu, T Peters, A Khoury, W Qu, E Zotenko, C Stirzaker, SJ Clark (2019) “DNA replication timing in concert with epigenome remodelling is associated with the nature of chromosomal rearrangements in cancer “ Nature Communications 10 (1), 1-15 *Equal contribution
- N Currey*, Z Jahan*, CE Caldon, P N Tran, F Benthani, P De Lacavalerie, DL Roden, BS Gloss, C Campos, EG Bean, A Bullman, S Reibe-Pal, ME Dinger, MA Febbraio, SJ Clarke, JC Howard, JE Dahlstrom, MRJ Kohonen-Corish (2019)” Mouse model of ‘Mutated in Colorectal Cancer’ gene deletion reveals novel pathways in colitis and cancer” Cellular and Molecular Gastroenterology and Hepatology 7 (4), 819-839 *Equal contribution
- Tadesse S, CE Caldon, W Tilley and S Wang (2019) "Cyclin-Dependent Kinase 2 Inhibitors in Cancer Therapy: An Update" Journal of Medicinal Chemistry 62 (9), 4233-4251
- Chia K, Milioli H, Portman, N, Laven-Law G, Coulson R, Yong A, Segara D, Parker A, Caldon CE, Deng N, Swarbrick A, Tilley W, Hickey T, & Lim E (2019) “Non-canonical AR activity facilitates endocrine resistance in breast cancer”, Endocrine-Related Cancer, 26(2), 251-264
- Portman, N, Alexandrou, S, Carr, E, Wang, S, Lim, E, CE Caldon (2019) “Overcoming CDK4/6 inhibitor resistance in ER positive breast cancer” Endocrine Related Cancer 26 (1), R15-R30
More Garvan Publications
Staff in the Group
Senior Research Assistant