The Clinical Research Facility (CRF), situated on level 4 of the Garvan Institute, provides a dedicated research space, expertise and equipment to support a wide range of clinical research activities and complex research procedures.
Our facility currently provides the resources to conduct investigator-initiated interventional and non-interventional clinical studies for Diabetes and Metabolism, Bone Biology and Hormones and Cancer. We also provide facilities for sponsored research trials enabling patient access to new treatments.
As well as research activities, we provide a venepuncture service for all Garvan research groups, as well as Institute First Aid services for work related injuries or illness.
Our mission is to support the translation of scientific advances into clinical benefits for patients across all clinical groups.
- The CRF Head is Professor Jerry Greenfield, a consultant Endocrinologist and Garvan researcher.
- All members of St Vincent's Hospital's Department of Endocrinology (Prof John Eisman, Prof Lesley Campbell, Prof Katherine Samaras, A/Prof Jackie Center, Assoc. Prof Alex Viardot and Dr Katherine Tonks) undertake research studies in the CRF.
- Dr Dorit Samocha-Bonet, Group Leader of the Clinical Insulin Resistance Group, Dr Ann McCormack from the Hormones and Cancer Group and Dr Paul Lee, Group Leader of the Brown Fat Physiology Group use the CRF for research studies.
- Lynne Schofield, a registered nurse, provides the day-to-day management of the facility and nursing staff.
- Renee Richens is a registered nurse and clinical research coordinator for the Diabetes, Appetite & Metabolism Division.
- Vanessa Travers is a registered nurse and clinical research coordinator for the Bone Biology Division.
- Tanya Thompson is a Research Assistant for the Hormones and Cancer Group.
- Dr Alice Tang, Dr Amanda Hor and Dr Joel Lasschuit are PhD students.
- Dr Pinar Kozan is a Clinical Research Fellow with the Diabetes, Appetite & Metabolism Division.
- 4 patient beds with oxygen, suction
- 1 examination room
- Venepuncture room
- Treatment room
Dedicated Research Equipment
- ParVo Medics True One 2400 Metabolic Monitor
- COSMED Quark RMR Indirect Calorimetry
- YSI 2300 Glucose Analyser
- Syringe pumps and volumetric infusion devices
- SphygmoCor Pulse Wave Analysis Monitor
- Tanita Body Composition Analyser
- 2 Centrifuges
- 2 Bio safety Cabinets
- Temperature monitored freezers, -20 & -80
- Temperature monitored refrigerators
Study Specific Procedures
- Hyperinsulinaemic-euglycaemic and hyperglycaemic clamps
- Indirect calorimetry
- Muscle and fat biopsies
- Arterial stiffness measurement
- Heart rate variability measurement
- Collection, processing, storing and transporting of biological samples
The CRF can arrange or access other research service providers:
- Pharmacy services through St Vincent’s Hospital
- Laboratory testing through Sydpath pathology
- MRI/CT or Bone Densitometry through St Vincent’s radiology department.