The OneScreen Community Genomics study is exploring how new DNA sequencing technologies could improve community-based genetic screening programs. OneScreen is a collaboration between the Garvan Institute of Medical Research and Wolper Jewish Hospital to study the health and public benefits of genetic screening in the community.
What will the Youth Advisory Panel do and who is eligible?
The Youth Advisory Panel will view draft versions of an online education activity and provide input and feedback that will shape the first rollout in schools and future versions of the activity. The Panel will meet over Zoom twice during October/November 2020, with a follow-up meeting in 2021.
We have partnered with the Board of Jewish Education’s jwave program to seek young people to join the Panel.
We are looking for panel members who:
- are age 16-18
- identify with Jewish ancestry
- attend a high school outside of the Jewish day school system (because these schools, plus Reddam House, currently participate in the Community Genetics School Screening Program)
- are available for two after-school meetings (45 minutes) over zoom in October/November (dates TBA)
Panel members will receive $20 giftpay cards (up to $60) for their involvement. Parental permission is required to participate.
More on the OneScreen Community Genomics study
The OneScreen Study will run alongside the existing Community Genetics Program (NSW) in 2020-21.
As part of the OneScreen study, we are developing and evaluating new approaches to genetic screening education that:
- support decision making about genetic screening and participating in research about genomics (DNA sequencing)
- are engaging, understandable and appropriate for high school students
- are flexible, scalable and available online
We are developing this education activity in partnership with experts in genetics, education, adolescence and community representatives. However, the views of young people are crucial to make this education activity successful.
If you or someone you know is interested, please contact us at email@example.com or call 02 9355 5764.