Resources for general practitioners
- RACGP genomics in general practice: https://www.racgp.org.au/clinical-resources/clinical-guidelines/key-racgp-guidelines/view-all-racgp-guidelines/genomics-in-general-practice/reproductive-carrier-screening
- Garvan’s genetics refresher for GPs https://www.garvan.org.au/research/kinghorn-centre-for-clinical-genomics/learn-about-genomics/for-gp/genetics-refresher-1/genomics-and-genomic-testing
More information on genetics and genetic screening can be found in fact sheets from the Centre for Genetics Education:
- Introduction to DNA, genes and chromosomes: https://www.genetics.edu.au/publications-and-resources/facts-sheets/fact-sheet-1-an-introduction-to-dna-genes-and-chromosomes
- Variations in the genetic code: https://www.genetics.edu.au/publications-and-resources/facts-sheets/fact-sheet-2-variations-in-the-genetic-code
- Reproductive carrier screening: https://www.genetics.edu.au/publications-and-resources/facts-sheets/FS65REPRODUCTIVECARRIERSCREENING.pdf
- Genetic and genomic testing: https://www.genetics.edu.au/publications-and-resources/facts-sheets/fact-sheet-15-genetic-and-genomic-testing
Resource guide for secondary school students
- Students interested in genetics and genomics can find a selection of links on our Student Resource Guide padlet.
Senior biology teachers
- Garvan’s Kinghorn Centre for Clinical Genomics has developed a collection of curriculum-aligned geneticsresources for HSC Biology teachers, including a depth study and stand-alone classroom activities.
- The following resources could align with a focus on genetic screening and genomic technologies
- Six Ws of Genetic Testing- A scenario-based activity introducing medical applications of DNA testing
- Medical Applications of Genetic Technologies– This activity is designed to answer the syllabus inquiry question “Does artificial manipulation of DNA have the potential to change populations forever?”
- You can also find links to external resources on ourGenetic Teaching Resources padlet
Year 10 science teachers
- Links to genetics teaching resources freely available online can be found on our Genetics Teaching Resources padlet.
- We are working with science teachers to develop additional resources to support the teaching of Year 10 genetics. Please get in touch if you would like to be involved.