Medical applications of genetic technology are increasingly important in twenty-first century healthcare. DNA sequencing is becoming an affordable tool for doctors, and gene-based therapies continue to emerge.
During this depth study, students become expert in a genetic disease of their choosing. In this context they:
- explore the biology of genetic disease;
- investigate the uses and applications of DNA sequencing and other genetic technologies; and
- evaluate social and ethical implications of medical genetics.
The investigation takes the form of an evidence-based evaluation of a genetic technology, looking at risks and benefits including the limitations and social/ethical issues involved. Findings could be assessed as a structured report.
Stimulus materials, resources and activities are also provided that cover the background and develop the necessary skills. Activities align to a wide range of syllabus outcomes from modules 5, 6 and 8 as well as Working Scientifically skills.
This depth study is now in a pilot phase. A full teacher guide is available below.
Please email email@example.com if you would like to trial and provide feedback on this resource.
This unit of work has links to many content and skills outcomes. A full list is provided in the syllabus mapping document below.
The primary outcomes addressed are:
Module 5: Heredity
- investigate the use of technologies to determine inheritance patterns in a population using, for example:
- DNA sequencing and profiling
Module 6: Genetic Change
- evaluate the benefits of using genetic technologies in agricultural, medical and industrial applications
- interpret a range of secondary sources to assess the influence of social, economic and cultural contexts on a range of biotechnologies
Module 8: Non-infectious Disease and Disorders
- investigate the causes and effects of non-infectious diseases in humans, including but not limited to:
- genetic diseases
|Depth Study Teachers Guide (PDF)||Lauren MCKnight||File||Nov 07, 2019 11:58 AM|
|Example Program for Depth Study (Google Doc)||Lauren MCKnight||Link||Mar 08, 2019 03:13 PM|
|Depth Study Evidence Plan Template (Word)||Lauren MCKnight||File||Nov 07, 2019 11:58 AM|
|Depth Study Sample Marking Rubric (Word)||Lauren MCKnight||File||Nov 07, 2019 11:58 AM|
|Depth Study Example Student Outline (Word)||Lauren MCKnight||File||Nov 07, 2019 11:58 AM|
|Syllabus Mapping Spreadsheet (Excel)||Lauren MCKnight||File||Nov 07, 2019 11:58 AM|