This activity introduces students to the processes involved in DNA testing and analysis, one of the most relevant applications of medical genomics today.
This is a paper-based activity that can be completed in groups. Students sequence the genome of a hypothetical creature, identify variants, and determine the cause of the patient’s symptoms.
A worksheet is also provided to use as revision for types of mutations, using the terms favoured in medical genomics.
A teacher guide is available for this activity. It includes links to further resources, extension questions, and answers. A powerpoint file with answers for in-class use is also available.
Please email firstname.lastname@example.org from a school email address to gain access.
HSC Biology NSW
- model the process of polypeptide synthesis, including:
- transcription and translation
- analysing the function and importance of polypeptide synthesis
- investigate the use of technologies to determine inheritance patterns in a population using, for example:
- DNA sequencing and profiling
- compare the causes, processes and effects of different types of mutation, including but not limited to:
- point mutation
- chromosomal mutation
- assess the significance of ‘coding’ and ‘non-coding’ DNA segments in the process of mutation
- The central dogma of biology. DNA to mRNA to protein. Transcription and translation.
- Mutations- types and effects
- Optional- how DNA sequencing works.
This activity is divided into tasks.
Tasks 1-4 take students through the process of DNA sequencing, finding mutations and making sense of them. Depending on the student group, this could fill a 30-45min lesson (allow longer if starting with the quiz and variant worksheet).
Tasks 5 and 6 involve application, critical thinking and problem solving. Task 5 introduces the concept of genetic databases, and task 6 involves interpreting a scientific abstract. These tasks could be used as a second lesson or given as an extension sheet. They could also be completed as a whole group discussion.
|Tiny Genome Activity Guide (PDF)||Nov 05, 2019 10:05 PM|
|Tiny Genome Student Guide (Word)||Nov 05, 2019 10:05 PM|
|Tiny Genome Worksheet 1 (PDF- best in colour)||Nov 05, 2019 10:05 PM|
|Tiny Genome Tasks 5 & 6 handouts (PDF)||Nov 05, 2019 10:05 PM|
|Mutation types revision worksheet (PDF)||Jul 11, 2018 11:33 AM|