The Garvan Sequencing Platform offers research-accredited, scalable sequencing services for standard genomics and transcriptomics. We have supported genomic sequencing in Australia since 2012 and have the expertise to create customised solutions that accommodate project goals – from small research studies to large-scale cohorts.
The Sequencing Platform was established within Garvan to support and enable cutting-edge research by making available advanced and rapidly evolving research technologies. The Sequencing Platform provides a 'fee for service' for short- and long-read sequencing.
We also offer R&D solutions and partnership opportunities for highly bespoke projects and commercial enterprises.
Powered by Illumina technology, we offer a range of sequencing services:
- A fully customisable service, including sample quality control, library preparation and sequencing, through to FASTQ data delivery
- Acceptance of human and non-human samples from a wide variety of biological sources – including tissue, blood and saliva – and across multiple preservation methods
- Illumina PCR-free whole genome sequencing (WGS), with ≥ 85% of bases above Q30 guaranteed
- PolyA enrichment or Ribo/Globin depletion RNAseq options
- Provision of the Illumina TruSight Oncology 500 (TSO500) targeted DNA/RNA sequencing assay
- Acceptance of user-submitted sequencing libraries
- Accommodation of a range of sequencing coverages (DNA) and depths (RNA).
Equipped with the latest instruments from both Oxford Nanopore Technologies (ONT) and Pacific Biosciences (PacBio), we are Australia’s leading long-read research sequencing service. Long-read sequencing is an emerging field that is already transforming our understanding of genomic, transcriptomic and epigenomic variation, and improving disease diagnosis.
Common research applications for long-read sequencing include:
- Genome sequencing and assembly
- Resolving challenging genes, repetitive regions and structural variation
- Characterisation of full-length RNA isoforms and alternative splicing
- Single-cell and spatial isoform sequencing
- Detection of DNA/RNA base modifications, such as 5-methylcytosine
- Metagenomics and pathogen sequencing
We support genome, transcriptome, single-cell and metagenome sequencing projects of all types and pride ourselves on enabling custom research projects that push the boundaries. With ONT PromethION and PacBio Revio instruments, Garvan is uniquely equipped to deliver cost-effective long-read sequencing at any scale.
Please enquire at: email@example.com
We offer our expertise for the establishment and optimisation of new protocols, the undertaking of novel pilot studies and as partner investigators for grant funding submissions. Spanning a variety of sequence-based requirements – including hybridisation capture, microarray, digital PCR, and quantitative real-time PCR – our highly skilled staff are open to working with a broad range of potential partners, from academic researchers to commercial enterprises.
If you would like to access our services, please email our customer service team to discuss your project and request a quote.
Our services are provided through our sample submission portal. Once you have accepted your quote, we will issue you with login details for the portal, which will guide you through the sample submission process and deliver your data files once sequencing is completed. Data files generated from submitted samples will be made available through a cloud-based platform, in FASTQ format. Garvan will retain the data files for a period of 90 days from the date of delivery.
Our turnaround time ranges from 30 business days for WGS – from date of sample receipt to date of data delivery – to within 40 business days for RNAseq and TruSight Oncology 500 targeted sequencing. Faster turnaround times can be arranged dependent upon the project and whether whole sequencing lanes or flow cells are requested. The anticipated turnaround time will be specified on your quote. Please discuss your needs with a member of the Garvan Sequencing Platform upon initial enquiry. In the event that any samples or projects don’t meet agreed QC metrics, customers will be notified to seek an agreement on whether/how to proceed, and the subsequent turnaround time will be revised. For more information about turnaround times, please see the sample submission guidelines.
Using the shipping labels provided by the Garvan Sequencing Platform, please send samples via mail or courier to:
Garvan Sequencing Platform
Garvan Institute of Medical Research
Precinct Loading Dock
West Street (off Burton Street)
Darlinghurst NSW 2010
Phone: +61 (0) 2 9355 5789
At the time of shipping, please email firstname.lastname@example.org with your express mail tracking number, as this will allow us to monitor your shipment. We will notify you when the samples have been received and approved under these guidelines in the lab.
For international customers
In addition to the above instructions, please ensure that the following documents are clearly attached to the outer package:
- AQIS Import Permit (supplied by the Garvan Sequencing Platform)
- Manufacturer’s Declaration (supplied by the Garvan Sequencing Platform)
- Four copies of Customs Declaration (customer to provide)
We currently recommend World Courier, LabCabs, DGI and Logical Freight Solutions. We strongly advise against the use of DHL or FedEx for shipment of samples to Australia.
- 2023Science (New York, N.Y.)10.1126/science.abj4784
Heritable defects in telomere and mitotic function selectively predispose to sarcomas.
- 2022European journal of human genetics : EJHG10.1038/s41431-022-01162-2
Whole exome and genome sequencing in mendelian disorders: a diagnostic and health economic analysis.
The retroelement Lx9 puts a brake on the immune response to virus infection.
African-specific molecular taxonomy of prostate cancer.
Use of Whole-Genome Sequencing for Mitochondrial Disease Diagnosis.