Located on Level 4 of the Garvan Institute of Medical Research, the Clinical Research Facility (CRF) provides dedicated research space, expertise and equipment to support a wide range of clinical research activities and detailed metabolic research testing.
Our facility provides the resources to conduct investigator-initiated interventional and non-interventional clinical studies for Garvan researchers. We also provide facilities for sponsored research trials enabling patient access to new treatments.
As well as research activities, we provide a venepuncture service for all Garvan research groups, as well as Institute First Aid services for work-related injuries or illness.
The Clinical Research Facility is supported by St Vincent’s Hospital Sydney the UNSW Research Infrastructure Scheme.
We provide researchers with a range of services, procedures and dedicated equipment, as well as access to other service providers.
- Four patient beds
- Examination room
- Venepuncture room
- Treatment room
- Specimen processing room
Dedicated research equipment
- BodPod GS-X Body Composition Assessment (COSMED)
- Q-NRG Indirect Calorimeter (COSMED)
- SphygmoCor Pulse Wave Analysis and Pulse Wave Velocity (ATCOR Medical)
- Body Impedance Analyser (Tanita, Body Composition Analyser)
- Syringe pumps and volumetric infusion devices
- 2 centrifuges (4°C)
- 2 biosafety cabinets
- Temperature monitored freezers: -20°C
- Temperature monitored refrigerators
Study specific procedures and expertise
- Hyperinsulinaemic-euglycaemic and hyperglycaemic clamps
- Glucose challenge
- Meal challenge
- Indirect calorimetry
- Muscle and fat biopsies
- Arterial stiffness measurement
- Heart rate variability measurement
- Body composition assessment
- Collection, processing, storing and transporting of biological samples
The Clinical Research Facility can arrange or access other research service providers:
- Pharmacy services through St Vincent’s Hospital
- Laboratory testing through commercial pathology
- MRI/CT or Bone Densitometry through St Vincent’s Hospital
The CRF Head is Professor Jerry Greenfield, a consultant endocrinologist and Garvan researcher. Associate Professor Dorit Samocha-Bonet, a dietitian and Garvan researcher is the Scientific Lead of the Facility.
Members of St Vincent's Hospital's Department of Endocrinology undertake research studies in the CRF.
Associate Professor Dorit Samocha-Bonet, Group Leader of the Clinical Insulin Resistance Group, and Associate Professor Ann McCormack from the Clinical Pillar use the CRF for research studies.
Krisztina Toth, a Registered Nurse, provides the day-to-day management of the facility and nursing staff.
- Renee Richens is a Registered Nurse and clinical research coordinator.
- Jennifer Evans is a Registered Nurse and clinical research coordinator.
- Zehra Ipek Uluturk is a Research Dietitian.
- Sienna Walsh is a Clinical Research Assistant.
- Tanya Thompson is a Research Assistant.
- Endocrinologists Dr Ruth Frampton, Dr Joel Lasschuit, Dr Tamara Milder, Dr Shivani Patel, Dr Lisa Raven and Dr Jennifer Snaith are PhD candidates.