Dr Hasindu Gamaarachchi
Dr Hasindu Gamaarachchi completed his bachelor’s degree with first-class honours for Computer Engineering from the University of Peradeniya, Sri Lanka in 2015, where he received the award for best performance in Engineering. He has served as a lecturer at the Department of Computer Engineering and a resource person at NVIDIA research centre at the University of Peradeniya. Hasindu completed his PhD in Computer Science and Engineering at UNSW Sydney under the supervision of Professor Sri Parameswaran, Dr Aleksandar Ignjatovic and Dr Martin A. Smith, in 2020. Hasindu has also been a visiting researcher at the Garvan Institute of Medical Research during his PhD. His PhD research has won multiple awards including third place in the Association for Computing Machinery Student Research Competition (ACM SRC) 2020, globally amongst the shortlisted competitors from over 20 major ACM conferences. Currently, Hasindu is working as a Genomics Computing Research Scientist in the Genomic Technologies Group. His work is primarily focused on design, development, optimisation and maintenance of bioinformatics software for real-time third-generation sequencing data analysis and prototyping novel domain-specific computer systems for efficient genomics data analysis.
- 2016Best presenter award in Present Around The World 2016 organised by Institution of Engineering and Technology-Young Professionals Section (IET-YPS) Sri Lanka
- 2016Best technical paper award in Annual Technical Conference of Institution of Engineering and Technology-Young Professionals Section (IET-YPS) Sri Lanka
- 2016C.A. Hewavitharana Prize awarded by University of Peradeniya for best performance in Engineering
- 2016Industrial and Financial Systems (IFS) Gold Medal awarded by University of Peradeniya for best perfrmance in Computer Engineering
- 2019Best poster award in Australasian Genomic Technologies Association (AGTA) Conference
- 2019First place in the Association for Computing Machinery Special Interest Group on Embedded Systems Student Research Competition (ACM SIGBED SRC) at Embedded Systems Week Conference [https://sigbed.org/2019/10/28/sigbed_src/]
- 2020Grand finalist (third place winner) in the Association for Computing Machinery Student Research Competition (ACM SRC) [https://src.acm.org/grand-finalists/2020]
- 2021Dean's Award for Outstanding PhD Theses awarded by UNSW Sydney
- 2021Outstanding PhD Thesis award by Australian Bioinformatics And Computational Biology Society (ABACBS)
- 2015Bachelor of Science (Bachelor of Science (B.S)), Computer EngineeringUniversity of Peradeniya, Sri Lanka
- 2020Doctor of Philosophy (Doctor of Philosophy (Ph.D)), Computer EngineeringUniversity of New South Wales, Australia
- 2023Scientific reports10.1038/s41598-023-47354-8
Efficient end-to-end long-read sequence mapping using minimap2-fpga integrated with hardware accelerated chaining.
- 2023Brain communications10.1093/braincomms/fcad208
in an Australasian neurological disease cohort: extending the genetic heterogeneity and implications for diagnostics.
- 2023Bioinformatics (Oxford, England)10.1093/bioinformatics/btad352
Accelerated nanopore basecalling with SLOW5 data format.
- 2023Genome biology10.1186/s13059-023-02910-3
Flexible and efficient handling of nanopore sequencing signal data with slow5tools.
- 2023BMC bioinformatics10.1186/s12859-023-05151-0
DeepSelectNet: deep neural network based selective sequencing for oxford nanopore sequencing.