Senior Research Fellow
Tri studied undergraduate medicine at the University of Sydney and completed a double fellowship in Internal Medicine and Pathology under the guidance Dr Stephen Adelstein and Dr Roger Garsia in the Department of Clinical Immunology at the Royal Prince Alfred Hospital, Sydney. For his PhD he developed a B cell receptor knock-in mouse model to study in vivo B cell responses to foreign and self-antigen under the supervision of Prof Antony Basten and A/Prof Robert Brink at the Centenary Institute, Sydney.
His interest in defining the in vivo contexts of B cell responses and resolving germinal centre selection events in space and time lead to post-doctoral studies with Prof Jason Cyster at the Howard Hughes Medical Institute, University of California, San Francisco where he used intravital two-photon microscopy to investigate the initiation of B cell responses in the lymph node. Tri established an intravital two-photon microscope facility at the Garvan Institute in 2010.
Awards and Honours
2017- SVH Consultant Tutor of the Year
2014 - ANSTO Eureka Prize for Innovative Use of Technology
2011 - NHMRC Career Development Fellowship
2006 - NHMRC C.J. Martin Post-doctoral Research Fellowship
2006 - American Australian Association Sir Keith Murdoch Fellowship
2005 - University of Sydney Early Career Development Award
2005 - Australasian Society of Immunology New Investigator Award
1999 - D.S. Nelson Prize (Royal College of Pathologists of Australasia)
1998 - Eddie Hirst Memorial Prize (Royal College of Pathologists of Australasia)
1994 - University Medal, University of Sydney
2002 - Fellow of the Royal Australasian College of Physicians (FRACP)
2002 - Fellow of the Royal College of Pathologists of Australasia (FRCPA)
1994 - MBBS, University of Sydney - Australia
- Moran I, Nguyen A, Khoo WH, Butt D, Bourne K, Young C, Hermes JR, Biro M, Gracie G, Ma CS, Munier CML, Luciani F, Zaunders J, Parker A, Kelleher AD, Tangye SG, Croucher PI, Brink R, Read MN, Phan TG. Memory B cells are reactivated in subcapsular proliferative foci of lymph nodes. Nat Commun. 2018;9(1):3372. Epub 2018/08/24.
- Brink R, Phan TG. Self-Reactive B Cells in the Germinal Center Reaction. Annu Rev Immunol. 2018;36:339-57. Epub 2018/01/23.
- Chang J, Leong RW, Wasinger VC, Ip M, Yang M, Phan TG. Impaired Intestinal Permeability Contributes to Ongoing Bowel Symptoms in Patients With Inflammatory Bowel Disease and Mucosal Healing. Gastroenterology. 2017;153(3):723-31 e1. Epub 2017/06/12.
- Tangye SG, Brink R, Goodnow CC, Phan TG. SnapShot: Interactions between B Cells and T Cells. Cell. 2015;162(4):926-6 e1. Epub 2015/08/16.
- Suan D, Nguyen A, Moran I, Bourne K, Hermes JR, Arshi M, Hampton HR, Tomura M, Miwa Y, Kelleher AD, Kaplan W, Deenick EK, Tangye SG, Brink R, Chtanova T, Phan TG. T follicular helper cells have distinct modes of migration and molecular signatures in naive and memory immune responses. Immunity. 2015;42(4):704-18. Epub 2015/04/05.
- Lawson MA, McDonald MM, Kovacic N, Hua Khoo W, Terry RL, Down J, Kaplan W, Paton-Hough J, Fellows C, Pettitt JA, Neil Dear T, Van Valckenborgh E, Baldock PA, Rogers MJ, Eaton CL, Vanderkerken K, Pettit AR, Quinn JM, Zannettino AC, Phan TG, Croucher PI. Osteoclasts control reactivation of dormant myeloma cells by remodelling the endosteal niche. Nat Commun. 2015;6:8983. Epub 2015/12/04.
- Junankar S, Shay G, Jurczyluk J, Ali N, Down J, Pocock N, Parker A, Nguyen A, Sun S, Kashemirov B, McKenna CE, Croucher PI, Swarbrick A, Weilbaecher K, Phan TG, Rogers MJ. Real-time intravital imaging establishes tumor-associated macrophages as the extraskeletal target of bisphosphonate action in cancer. Cancer Discov. 2015;5(1):35-42. Epub 2014/10/15.
- Lee WM, Upadhya A, Reece PJ, Phan TG. Fabricating low cost and high performance elastomer lenses using hanging droplets. Biomed Opt Express. 2014;5(5):1626-35. Epub 2014/05/31.
- Phan TG, Green JA, Gray EE, Xu Y, Cyster JG. Immune complex relay by subcapsular sinus macrophages and noncognate B cells drives antibody affinity maturation. Nat Immunol. 2009;10(7):786-93. Epub 2009/06/09.
- Phan TG, Grigorova I, Okada T, Cyster JG. Subcapsular encounter and complement-dependent transport of immune complexes by lymph node B cells. Nat Immunol. 2007;8(9):992-1000. Epub 2007/07/31.
- Phan TG, Paus D, Chan TD, Turner ML, Nutt SL, Basten A, Brink R. High affinity germinal center B cells are actively selected into the plasma cell compartment. J Exp Med. 2006;203(11):2419-24. Epub 2006/10/13.
- Paus D, Phan TG, Chan TD, Gardam S, Basten A, Brink R. Antigen recognition strength regulates the choice between extrafollicular plasma cell and germinal center B cell differentiation. J Exp Med. 2006;203(4):1081-91. Epub 2006/04/12.